The Game Rules.
• Teams may consist of 2, 3, or 4 people.
• Bocce is played with eight large balls and one smaller target or object ball called the jack.
• There are 4 balls to a side, or team, and they are made in two colors to distinguish the balls of one team from the 4 balls of the opposing team.
• A coin toss will determine which team has the jack and which color balls that team selects.
• The jack is thrown out by a member of the team having won the coin toss to start the game.
• The same player throwing the jack must deliver the first bocce ball or continue to throw until a point is reached (meaning a valid throw where the ball reaches a resting point on the required area of the court).
• A team has the option of rolling, throwing, bouncing, banking, etc. its ball down the court provided it does not go out-of-bounds or the player does not violate the foul markers. For our tournament, the ball must not be thrown above waist height.
• The opposing team will then deliver their bocce balls until the point is taken or they have exhausted their 4 balls.
• This "nearest ball", rule governs the sequence of thrown balls. The side whose bocce is the closest to the jack is called the "in" ball and the opposing side the "out" ball. Whenever a team gets "in" it steps aside and allows the "out" team to bowl.
• At the end of each frame (when both teams have exhausted 4 balls each), a designated official under the scrutiny of the captain/or designee of each team, will determine the points scored.
• Scoring points are all those ball of one team closer to the jack than the closest ball of the opposing team, which can be determined by viewing or by mechanical measurement.
• In the event that the two balls closest to the jack belong to opposing teams and are exactly the same distance from the jack, no points will be awarded, and the jack returns to the team which delivered it.
• Only balls which are distinguishably closer to the jack than any opponent's balls may be awarded points.
• The opposite team is to toss the jack and alternate for each frame.
• The first team to reach 12 points is the winner. Each round of the tournament will consist of a single game. A time limit of 20 minutes per game is required due to time constraints at this amazing venue.
• The championship round will be played to 15 points.